A side dish for roasted meats or poultry that will make a turnip-lover out of any turnip-hater!
- 2 lb small to medium (2-inch) turnips
- About 1 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Garnish: chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Peel turnips, then halve horizontally and quarter halves.
- Arrange turnips in 1 layer in a 12-inch heavy skillet and add enough water (about 1 1/2 cups) to reach halfway up turnips.
- Add butter, sugar, and salt and boil over moderately high heat, covered, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Boil turnips, uncovered, stirring, until tender and water has evaporated, about 8 minutes.
- Sauté turnips over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden brown,about 5 minutes more.
- Add 3 tablespoons water and stir to coat turnips with glaze.