- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly slice
- .75 cup apple cider
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4.5 cups stock chicken or vegetable stock
- .5 cup heavy cream (half-and-half will work as well)
- 2 apples, small dice
- 1 bottle dark beer (optional)
- 2 tsp. butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a soup pot, heat the oil.
- Add the onions and cook for a few minutes until starting to turn golden.
- Add the cider and cook until it reduces somewhat.
- Add the potatoes, stock and beer, bring to a boil
- simmer it, covered.
- Whisk the cheddar in off the heat.Blend, in small batches, in a blender.
- Be VERY careful and pulse the liquid. If too thick, add some water. (It won’t deter from the flavor)
- Once the soup is all blended, add the cream.
- In a small pan, melt the butter.
- When it melts, add in the apple chunks, and cook for a couple of minutes until they start to get a bit caramelized.
- Garnish Soup with caramelized apples.
- 4 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 large potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 medium head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- Combine the carrots, potatoes, onion, cabbage, garlic, chicken stock, olive oil, thyme, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper in a stock pot over medium-high heat;
- bring to a simmer and cook until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender in small batches and blend until smooth.